Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Designing With Technologies

I recall entering high school with the option to take advanced courses intertwining technology and creativity; such as drafting, engineering, mechanical CAD, interior design, even wood shop. I did opt to take a few of these in my early high school years to explore my interests. I found that CAD programs, or computer aided design programs, allowed for students to combine math and science with their own creative ideas. I've experienced this first hand over the years. I was able to draw images with mathematical equations. With the click of the mouse, a pattern could be duplicated and something that would normally take hours to draw would emerge in literally minutes. 


I enjoyed exploring other outlets that offer the same opportunity for students to learn while they express their ideas with the combination of technology and the education system. Something that had never occurred to me were the use of legos to make learning enjoyable. Who didn't play with legos in their early years? I believe that girls and boys alike enjoyed stacking, building, and exploring new and wondrous lego worlds. However, I did not realize just how powerful legos were as a learning tool. Exploring http://www.usfirst.org/ was eye opening for me. I feel like there has been a secret world for the privileged kids to compete with their own inventions that I never knew about. I love the idea of allowing children to incorporate math, physics, technology, team building, and art  into something they can visually see and experience. I believe that the use of legos helps children start learning at a young age. 


Lastly, perhaps one of my favorite new discoveries, the Musical Sketch Pad. Allowing children to become composers, express their thoughts and feelings through music is powerful. I believe this advancement has the opportunity to engage children on a higher level, and provide for a more lasting connection with learning. 


Overall, the opportunities for the younger generation are flourishing. With the diverse advancements for students and teachers to explore, each student has the chance to combine the power of technology with their creativity and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment