Saturday, June 18, 2011

Web 2.0

Who knew there were so many resources to be implemented in the classroom for projects, discussions, and assignments? Prior to investigating wiki, social bookmarking, and voice threads; I would of used standard options offered on many computers. I learned some about what each application can provide.

A wiki is a collaborative work that can be continuously altered by various parties over the course of time. I see the positive and negative of this. I believe that as long as the editors of the wiki are credible, then the work may stay credible. Unfortunately, I see that allowing anyone to edit your body of work causing multiple problems. I fear of the lose of research and credibility of the site.

Social bookmarking is an entirely new concept, as I am one of those with numerous bookmarks assigned to sites. I am very fond of the idea of teachers adopting the concept of creating a social bookmarking account for use of students and other instructors. I learned that it is simple and yet can be so effective. Once creating an account, endless sites may be bookmarked and organized through a tagging tool to your account. This in turn can be viewed by others for assignments, as a resource, and as a reference for lessons or discussions.

The third application that was unfamiliar to myself was the voice thread. What a great idea for students and educators alike! With the ability to compose a body of work with other students through the use of images, documents, and videos; group projects can rise to an entirely new level. I believe that this is a tool for world wide development of ideas and discussion.

Overall, I believe the web 2.0 applications are beneficial for both students and educators today and a use of them should be encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment