Thursday, June 30, 2011

Visualizing with Technologies

Like many individuals I know, I am a visual learner. I depend heavily on visual aids to stimulate a connection of what is taught and later a recollection of the topic. Some of the lessons that have dwelled with me over the years, or I feel I really learned the most; were those that provided me with outstanding visual aids. An association is made when I have the opportunity to link pictorials with concepts. I recall a math lesson from early middle school in particular. Our instructor allowed us to watch part of a Disney movie, in which the popular children character Donal Duck visits 'Mathmagic Land'. The video aided my learning of basic mathematical concepts and promoted a fun learning environment.

After exploring the video databases, I was highly impressed. Right away, something that caught my eye was that while searching, there are over twenty options as to what is offered. Some of these include math explanation, body atlantas, games, assignments, songs, etc. Rather than searching through endless visual aids to find what is appropriate for your targeted audience; you are also able to filter further. The option to filter by grade levels, subject, and the type of media type (full video, segment, image) is also available. I did a few test searches and found the information available to be relevant and useful. For those individuals that are not as technologically advanced, I found this particular option to be very user friendly.

The second video data base I explored, Safari Montage, was also notable. I did find this site to be a little more advanced than the United Streaming website. However, the vastness offered seems endless. Safari Montage offers an environment for professors to develop multimedia plans, upload their own videos, and utilize media from renowned educational publishers such as Arther, History, National Geographic, Scholastic, and Disney.

These are just two of the many options available to instructors. Visual databases such as United Streaming and Safari Montage is one more step in the direction of superior education for the growing generations. I feel that visual aids in today's education offers an indubitable benefit to students and should be utilized by all instructors.

No comments:

Post a Comment